Romeo
and Juliet by William Shakespeare tells the story of two families:
The Montagues and Capulets who have an on-going feud. Out of this
feud, two lovers emerge Romeo a Montague and Juliet a Capulet.
Romeo
and Juliet deaths could have been avoided by the choices and actions
of characters in the story. I believe that if there was any character
to blame, or in this case a group of people it would the Montagues
and Capulets. If these two families did not hate each other there
would not have been a reason for Romeo and Juliet to hide their love.
Juliet expresses this when she says:
“O
Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo?
Deny
thy father and refuse thy name;
Or,
if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,
And
I'll no longer be a Capulet.”
Another
part of the story in which the blame can be pinned on the Montagues
and Capulets would be when Prince Escalus
says: "Capulet!
Montague! See, what a scourge is laid upon your hate, /That heaven
finds means to kill your joys with love."
Even
though I believe that the Montagues and Capulets are one of the main
causes of the deaths of Romeo and Juliet. Their love might have
developed differently if the families didn't hate each other . One
way their love might have developed differently is they might have
never gotten married or Friar Lawrence might have not agreed to marry
them as shown in the following quote: “In
one respect I'll thy assistant be; For this alliance may so happy
prove/To turn your households' rancour to pure love.” Another
reason why their love might have developed differently if the
two families didn't hate each other is their love might not have been
as strong because it was young love and it might have not lasted long
if their parents had let their love flourish Friar Lawrence even
mentioned this when he said “young
men's love then lies/Not truly in their hearts, but in their eyes.”
This
is why I believe that the Montagues and Capulets are the people who
are the most to blame in the story, but I also believe that their
were many other characters or causes that could have caused their
deaths as well and if these causes were avoidable the play would have
not been the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment