This
summer I read “Catcher in the Rye” by J.D Salinger. It is about a
boy named Holden Caulfield who gets kicked out of his school, Pencey
Prep, and cannot
come back after Christmas break. After a fight with his roommate he
runs away to New York City where he actually is from, but instead of
going home he runs around the the city.
This
book was originally a novel for adults but it became a popular young
adult novel instead. I believe that it became such a popular book for
young adults because he is a very rebellious character and teenagers
tend to be rebellious. This is shown in the book when he is only
sixteen and he asks for whisky at a bar. Another way he shows his
rebellion is when he sneaked into his house to see his sister Phoebe
even though he is not supposed to be back home wet.
I
believe that Holden is an
influential character to young adults and not necessarily in a good
way. Holden did what young adults wish they could do and this way he
became an idol to rebellious teens.
No comments:
Post a Comment